Pride in The Park is fantastic way to celebrate music, culture, and beautiful weather with friends and chosen family. As with any all-day outdoor activity, it’s essential to maintain your health to ensure a fun and enjoyable experience at the festival. Lets discuss three key aspects of staying healthy at the event: hydration, sun protection, and nutrition.
Festival hydration: Keep Your Thirst Quenched!
When you’re at an outdoor festival, it can be easy to forget about proper hydration, especially when there’s so much going on! However, staying hydrated is absolutely essential for maintaining both your health and energy levels throughout the day.
Here are some simple ways to stay hydrated at the festival:
- Take breaks in the shade! There are plenty of trees in the park to cool down between dancing.
- Set reminders: Set an alarm or timer on your phone to remind you to drink water every hour or so. Sounds silly, but time flies when you’re having fun.
- Alternate 1 to 1. If you’re indulging in alcoholic beverages at the festival, make sure to alternate with water. Not only will the water help prevent dehydration, but it can also mitigate the more unpleasant effects of alcohol.
Sun Protection While At The Festival
Spending all day out in the sun at a festival can take a toll on your skin. To protect yourself from the sun’s harmful rays and reduce the risk of sunburn or heatstroke, follow these sun safety tips:
- Apply sunscreen before and during the festival: Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher, and reapply every two hours, especially if you’re sweating. Sealed, travel sized aerosol spray sunscreen is allowed at the festival.
- Wear protective clothing to the festival: Long sleeves, shawls, and hats with a wide brim can provide additional protection from the sun. Look for clothing with built-in UV protection for added protection.
- Take mini breaks from the sun at the festival during the afternoon when UV rays are the strongest.
- Wear sunglasses: Protect your eyes while looking cool at the festival by wearing sunglasses that block 100% of UV rays.
Nutrition: Eat well, snack often at the festival!
Eating regular meals and snacks is essential when attending an outdoor festival, as the combination of physical activity and the hot sun can rapidly drain your energy. Note we do not allow outside food or beverage, but there will be plenty of options once you get in.
- Opt for healthier food options: If you’re going to be eating at the festival, try to choose balanced meals that aren’t all sugar based.
- Plan your meals: To keep your energy levels consistent, aim to eat a meal or snack every three to four hours. Plan your meal breaks around your favorite performances.
- Don’t forget breakfast: Start your day with a nutritious breakfast to fuel your body for a long day of excitement.
- Less is more! It’s better to grab a few quick bites throughout the day than overload all at once, which can also cause cramping.
Staying healthy at an outdoor festival doesn’t have to be a challenge if you plan and prioritize your hydration, sun protection, and meals. Enjoy your festival experience without sacrificing your health or well-being & dance the day away!